Berlin’s most famous historic landmark is the Brandenburg Gate (Brandenburger Tor), once a symbol of a divided nation and now a symbol of unity and peace. This Neoclassical gate was commissioned by King Frederick Wilhelm II in 1788, and its design was inspired by the Propylaea in Athen’s Acropolis. The sandstone monument is 26 meters tall.
During the Cold War, its physical and symbolic position as a blocked gate along the Berlin Wall made it a frequent site for demonstrations by West Berliners, and it is famous for being the backdrop of US President Ronald Reagan’s 1987 entreaty to Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev to tear down the wall.
Address: Pariser Platz, 10117, Berlin
And now some fun facts that you probably didn’t know about the Brandenburg Gate.
The Gate was erected not as a political symbol, but instead for a rather simple reason – to mark the end of the boulevard Unter den Linden.
The Soviet flag flew on the top of the Gate from 1945 until 1957. It was then ripped down during the peaceful protests on June 17th 1953, when demonstrators protested against the political and economic conditions in the German Democratic Republic.